Monday, April 9, 2012

Screening Notes: A Single Man

Upon first reading the summary of A Single Man I was a little weary of it's content, but decided to go into it with an open mind. When my instructor informed me that this film's director (Tom Ford) was formerly and architect and a fashion designer, I knew the film was going to be beautiful to look at, and it was.

I had a great cinephilic moment towards the beginning of the film with all the architecture within Colin Firth's home. The home was built perfectly for the purpose because all of its lines and design were framing Firth's character, George. This moment was cinephilic for me because I know about framing and line designs through film classes. The railing and the sculpture all focused my eyes onto Colin Firth, and I knew that this was the director's intention. The house used was architecturally gorgeous, so immediately I was actively searching for ways that it could play into direction, which it did in focusing solely on George, who was alone. This was Tom Ford's purpose: to have the audience see George all by his self, without his partner. George stands out as the only living thing in the beautiful house.

No comments:

Post a Comment