Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Screening Notes: The Prestige

Every time I watch this movie, I gain something new from it. Seeing as though I haven't viewed The Prestige in a few months, my mind had time to settle matters and revisit them this time. This is one of those films that is never the same, each time you watch it because the story is very complex and has many detailed parts that can only be perceive having seen it a few times.

This time in particular, I paid special attention to the interactions between Christians Bale's characters (Alfred Borden and Alfred Borden) and the two love interests (Olivia and Sara). The first time viewing the movie, Alfred Borden seems to be the textbook example of a cheating husband who lives a double-life and would do anything to keep it this way. This is bolstered by serious events within the move i.e. when Olivia leaves him and when Sara kills herself. All of these things made me originally detest Borden's character. Even watching the movie a second time, I still considered Bale's character evil. This time, however, I noticed that Bale's individual characters (Borden and Borden) were each very true to his respective love interest, and accordingly I gained more respect for his character.

The dialogue between the two Alfred Borden's and the two love interests are written in order to deceive the audience, just as the magic act, until the prestige, or ending. When Borden is fighting with Sara, he implores her to believe him that he is uninterested in Olivia, but all logic and reason make her and the audience believe otherwise and write him off as a liar. Christopher Nolan mirrors the style of deception used in magic tricks wonderfully in his directing style.

No comments:

Post a Comment